Monday, October 5, 2009

First School Bento!


Yay! I did it!! The first school bento was a success. A-chan requested the rolled sandwich and character face for this bento. The saran wrap on the sandwich made it hard to photograph (at least for me). I was very nervous making this bento which is very silly. It's so nice to know that she liked it and I can't wait to do another one next week!
Top partition: 2 huge blackberries, steamed broccoli, baby tomatoes, one carrot heart, one fried tofu ball, one tiny veggie dog octopus.
Bottom partition: rolled peanut butter and honey sandwich wrapped in saran wrap and tied with embroidery thread on the ends, pokemon face of cheese, nori and pickled ginger. Steamed broccoli, mozzarella cheese, carrot heart and another blackberry. Hidden underneath the sandwich were a hello kitty soy sauce bottle and a hello kitty candy.

Problem area - Veggie hot dog: I can't do anything pretty with veggie hot dogs. They just don't want to cooperate :( I tried to make a pretty flower with this one and worked on it for about 10 minutes before giving it up as hopeless. Then I inverted it and put on the face to make a little octopus instead. It turned out well, I think it's cute - but it's not what I had intended to do.

Bonus - The sandwich wrapping: It kept the character design perfectly in place while I positioned and repositioned it to make it fit AND have the face visible :) It was also great because I didn't have to worry about the broccoli and blackberry making the sandwich soggy!
She ate most of it at school, though apparently she found the piece of candy and didn't want to eat anything else after that. The only things left were the tomatoes, one piece of broccoli and the little octopus. As soon as we got home she wanted to eat the rest and I soon had a very empty bento box to wash :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Veggie hot dogs are a bummer in the cute department. I have tried countless times and failed with them.

Lunch looks delicious tho!