Sunday, October 4, 2009

Rice Cooking Day





Today was rice cooking day! I think I wore out my poor rice cooker. Three batches of rice to put in the freezer: one white, one yellow and one orange. Fall colors were definately going through my head :) My little girl and I made rice balls out of some, and put some in storage containers and then froze all of it for easy bento (and dinner) making later in the week and probably next week too.








I'd almost forgotten what it was like to have a Sunday at home. We've been so busy lately - this is literally our first weekend at home in about 2 months. And the next three weeks we'll be away again. But for now I'm just glorying in the ability to be at home and prepare for the week ahead without feeling rushed!








Along with the rice cookery, I'm making fried tofu to freeze as well. I'm sure that there is more that I could be doing, but the rice and tofu will have to do because we're going to see Ponyo this afternoon! Yay!!!






A-chan's interest in bentos has really taken off - she's been making pretend rice balls for a while (including some out of playdoh) but today she wanted to make real ones all by herself. She made a rice ball by hand and then several using moulds - her favorite was the hello kitty one. It was such a wonderful time to spend together. Even easier than making cookies together!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your rice bowl! It's really gorgeous.

Is the fried tofu still tasty after freezing? Then I should try my hand at that sometime! :)

Unknown said...

hey, just stumbled upon this blog...so, when you freeze rice, do you just let it warm up naturally, or do you reheat it somehow?

Natakiya said...

I sprinkle the frozen rice with a little bit of water, then microwave. For an onigiri I do about 30 sec to 1 minute, for a large batch of rice I cook it a little longer.